It is not surprising that you are strolling the web, looking for an ideal spot to surf. Don’t we all. We want to make a case to choose surfing in Porto. Summer’s here and with it the will of grabbing a board and spending some quality time with friends in the water grows. Besides the waves and other surfing related factors, the weather, hospitality from local people, food, security, flights and daily life cost can be crucial when you’re planning your next surf trip. And that’s exactly why we find it useful to give you a couple of reasons why the northern coast of Portugal, or the Porto area to be more precise, should be your next surfing destination. So without further ado…
Top 10 strenghts of Surfing in Porto area
- Porto’s airport (OPO) has lots of low-cost flights coming from almost every country in Europe. For sure you can find some nice flight deals!
- Daily life is cheaper than most European countries. Also when compared to central and south of Portugal (Lisbon and Algarve areas). For example, one expresso has a cost of 0,65€ average. Lot’s of cafeíne for you!
- The weather is warm. Rainy and cold days usually arrive from January and stay around til March. So plenty of time for you to come!
- Surfing is consistent and there are lots of surf spots on offer, which makes surfing possible for everyone. Urban and uncrowded white sand beaches are around. Just need to know where! And guess who knows? A few things we don’t have here: lack of waves, sharks or other big fishes and huge crowds in the water.
- One of the best places where you can combine quality surfing with unique historical landmarks and culture is Porto! And the great thing is that the best surf spots, are located where we are, only a couple of minutes away from the city centre. You can get there easily by train (2€ /journey)
- Security. Unfortunately, this matter is currently something that can not be ignored when you plan to get out from your comfort zone. So this is one thing less to be worried about. You’re safe with us.
- Local people are mellow and friendly. Once they realize you’re not Portuguese they probably will just be very talkative and want to show you around.
- The places and their people are still authentic here. As travellers ourselves, we sure don’t like to go to a place where we feel we are part of a tourist attraction. We like to hear and pick up something from the local language, culture and customs. Authenticity is required and we proudly dare to say that we still have it “Carago” (local word for something like “damn it”)!
- Food is delicious! Francesinha, tripas à moda do Porto and pasteis de nata are some of the local dishes and snacks that you can try here and can make you loose your mind. Your belly might grow, so keep fit… Make sure you come surfing!
- Last, but not the least, it’s where we are! Yes, we try to stay humble ☺ but if you’re looking for a relaxing surf vacation, far from big crowds and make some new friends in the process, including us, that you must try and experience it for yourself!!! For sure our current and past surfing guests/friends can confirm it!
More reasons could be pointed, but let’s leave that for you to discover once you’re here. In case you’re still in doubt and haven’t booked a flight or accommodation yet, remember that our endless Summer vibes are here waiting for you. And they’ll stay for months to come.
So what are you waiting for? 10 more reasons for surfing in Porto? Take a LOOK AT OUR WATERMARK VIDEO to what you can expect.
See you soon,
Watermark Surf House